Infoblox Inc. today announced IPv6 enhancements to its online DNS Advisor tool that is designed to help enterprises test the accessibility, configuration and security of their domains.
As the global supply of IPv4 addresses continues to dwindle, enterprises must be able to support the exploding number of IPv6-enabled devices, ranging from mobile phones, laptops and scanners to tablets, which will need to connect to internal networks and the Internet. Since IPv6 is a new addressing schema that impacts a myriad of network elements, automated IP address management solutions and tools, like the Infoblox DNS Advisor, will be essential to assess implementations and ensure that end users have access to domains from both IPv4 and IPv6 devices.
IPv6 and DNS expert Cricket Liu, who designed the tool, commented: “Because considerable uncertainty remains regarding the necessary steps required to successfully manage the transition from IPv4 to IPv6, some enterprises will be slow to make the move even as available IPv4 address space diminishes. Going forward, the additional IPv6 functionality in our DNS Advisor tool will help validate and instill greater confidence in enterprises’ and service providers’ IPv6 installations.”
The enhanced tool tests more than 75 facets of an organization’s DNS and IPv6 infrastructure against industry best-practice designs and architecture in six key areas:
- IPv6 Compatibility: Tests IPv6 connectivity, query responsiveness, IPv6 delegation and other compatibility-related commands
- Consistency: Searches for configuration inconsistencies that may cause longer DNS/IPv6 resolution times and compromise redundancy
- Configuration: Includes checks to ensure domains resolve properly and are reachable and resilient
- Security: Looks for security vulnerabilities
- Compliance: Tests if name servers support current protocols
At the end of the test, the tool provides an assessment report that includes an executive summary on how to mitigate any DNS and IPv6 shortcomings in the environment.
Useful Resources to Help Manage the IPv6 Transition
The online DNS Advisor tool complements Infoblox’s robust set of existing resources designed to help manage the IPv6 transition. To learn more about IPv6 enablement, myths and best practices, Infoblox offers the following resources in our IPv6 Resource Center:
- Free Trial Software: IPv6-enabled IP address management software trial download
- IPv6 Video: Cricket Liu offers clear and concise definitions and suggestions for jumpstarting your IPv6 initiatives
- IPv6 Whitepaper: “Seven Deadly IPv6 Transition Traps” outlines the mistakes to avoid throughout an IPv6 transition
- IPv6 Address Transition Tools: Details of Infoblox IPv6-ready solutions
- IPv6 Resource Center: Links to several practical IPv6 tools and a fun online challenge
For more information about Infoblox IPv6-ready products, visit: https://www.infoblox.com/en/products.html.
Infoblox is an industry leading developer of network infrastructure automation and control solutions. Infoblox’s unique technologies, including the Infoblox Grid™—a real-time, data distribution technology—increase network availability and control, while automating time-consuming manual tasks associated with network infrastructure services like domain name system (DNS) resolution, IP address management (IPAM), network change and configuration management (NCCM) and network discovery, among others. Infoblox IPv6-ready solutions are used by over 5,000 organizations worldwide, including more than one third of the Fortune 500. The company is headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif., and operates in more than 30 countries.